School Parent Compact
PORTAGE AREA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PARENT COMPACT 2019-2020
The School Parent Compact outlines how parents, the entire school staff, and students will share in the responsibility for improved
student academic achievement and the means by which the school and the parents will build and develop partnerships to help
children achieve the State’s high standards (ESSA, Section 1116(d)).
Portage Area Elementary:
The school understands the importance of the school experience to every student and their role as educators and models. Therefore, the school agrees to carry out the following responsibilities to the best of their ability:
- Provide high-quality curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment that enables the children served under this part to meet the challenging State academic standards (required)
- Address the importance of communication between teachers and parents on an ongoing basis through, at a minimum—
- parent-teacher conferences in elementary schools, at least annually, during which the compact shall be discussed as the compact relates to the individual child’s achievement
- frequent reports to parents on their children’s progress;
- reasonable access to staff, opportunities to volunteer and participate in their child’s class, and observation of classroom activities; and
- Ensuring regular two-way, meaningful communication between family members and school staff and, to the extent practicable, in a language that family members can understand. (required) (ESSA, Section 1116(d)(1-2))
- Treat each child with dignity and respect
- Strive to address the individual needs of the student
- Acknowledge that parents are vital to the success of child and school
- Provide a safe, positive and healthy learning environment
- Assure every student access to quality learning experiences
- Assure that the school staff communicates clear expectations for performance to both students and parents
The student realizes education is important. He/she is the one responsible for his/her own success. Therefore, he/she agrees to carry out the following responsibilities to the best of his/her ability:
- Get to school on time every day.
- Be responsible for completing homework on time.
- Do daily work that is neat and reflects the student’s best effort.
- Be cooperative by carrying out the teacher’s instructions and ask for help when needed.
- Be respectful to all school members and to school property.
Parent/ Family Member:
The parent/ family member realizes that their child’s school years are very important. The parent/ family member understands that his/her participation in his/her child’s education will help their academic achievement and attitude. Therefore, the parent/ family member agrees to carry out the following responsibilities to the best of his/her ability.
- Look at, sign, and return any necessary papers brought home from school.
- Create a quiet place for their child to study.
- Support their child’s learning.
- Volunteer in their child’s classroom.
- Help their child with his/her homework, as needed.
- Make sure their child gets enough sleep each night and arrives at school on time.
- Attend parent/teacher conferences and or visitations to the school whenever possible.
- Send the student to school on time, well-fed, and well-rested on a regular basis.
- Encourage their child to show respect for all members of the school community and school property.
- Review all school communications and respond promptly.